Saturday, March 5, 2011

critique of passage employing reader response theory


Pink takes Sonny out in the Bel Air for a quick driving lesson in order to befriend Sonny as well as get information. Sonny is a little taken back that Pink is willing to give the car for free in return that he keeps his ears wide-open to his step daddy. Before Sonny agrees Pink lets Sonny get a test run of the car. Sonny states “the truth was that it was a stick shift and, though I’d barely driven a car one time, I’d especially never shifted a four-speed. I can personally feel what Sonny was going through trying to get the car started and going” (139.) At that same age I was learning how to drive and like Sonny I had only tried to drive a car once before my sister took me out in her car, which was a stick shift. My sister kept telling me its all about feeling what the engine needs and taking it slowly and of course like Sonny I felt I was horrible and wasn’t going anywhere. Later I found I just need more practice and eventually got it. My mother ended up giving me her old car but never wanted anything in return. I think that keeping Sonny’s ears open to what Cloyd says is going to be important to find out more about Pink’ character and Cloyd’s. Clearly both Cloyd and Pink have an interest in each other since they both constantly ask about what the other one is up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment